Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Serene Scilla

So I'm fairly sure I've found my favorite place on the planet, I mean, so far. It's a big place. Thankfully it's only a two and a half hour drive from where I live now, with a 20 minute ferry ride along the way. It's Scilla. I've seen about a million pictures on Pinterest so decided to take my Friday off and spend some time up there. If I ever run away this is probably where I will go. 

On the ferry crossing the straights of Messina. 

I spent the entire afternoon walking around the city taking in it's beauty and serenity. Walked all around the famous castle, had some swordfish (which the area is known for), and then took a nap listening to the waves outside the balcony of my seaside B&B. Basically it was perfection. Here's just a bunch of photos from around the city. 



















Before I got on the ferry back to Sicily I made a quick stop in Reggio-Calabria to see the Riace Bronzes. They are over 2000 years old, estimates put them at about 450 BC, and were discovered in wreckage in the Straights of Messina in the 1970s. They have been amazingly preserved and are real masterpieces of metal work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment