Sunday, May 1, 2016

Doing Everything Touristy in Rome

I LOVE having visitors. It gives me a reason to see touristy things, like everything in Rome. So when my mom and aunt were coming to Europe I used a long weekend to go all around Rome. We learn a lot. 
First we got the Roma Card, would highly recommend. It gets you into two museums from a list for free, and gets a discount in many others, you can also use ALL public transportation in Rome with the card. 
But be careful on the public transport, my mom didn't have her purse covered up, we got on a crowded bus, and someone took her wallet out of her pocket, stole her cash, and put the wallet back in her jacket pocket. It was horrible, but I'm just glad we didn't have to deal with trying to get her credit cards replaced while she was on vacation. 
We ended up paying for a tour of the Colosseum and Roman Forum. It was something like $25 each, and it was nice to have a tour guide but it was hard for my mom and aunt to hear, so I would recommend doing one where you get head sets. The guide had some inside scoops and stories but it did get a little long. I liked doing it once though because I could totally take others next time. 
We were there for my mom's birthday so I paid for a guided tour of the Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's. It did come with headsets so that worked out better. The museum was weirdly packed for February, but I learned so much about the art and history of the Catholic church. When the tour really paid for itself? Not having to wait in line to get into Saint Peter's, the line was around the ENTIRE square. We also got to go into the Sistine Chapel, which was amazing, and infuriating, seriously other tourists, just put down the cameras and enjoy the amazing awe inspiring artwork and craftsmanship. 
All in all it was a wonderful weekend!

Piazza Venezia. 




Aunt Sally checking out the Colosseum. 











View over the Tiber River. 

One of the Caesars. 

Inside the Pantheon. 

After touring the Colosseum. 

Michelangelo's statue of Moses, was meant to be MUCH larger and used for the burial of a Pope. 

Peter's Chains. 

Inside Vatican City. 


Entrance to the Vatican Museum. 

Vault made of porphyry in the Vatican, same stone as Nero's bathtub. 

The Pope's view of Sicily from he Vatican. 

Pieta in Saint Peter's. Another Michelangelo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment